Custom Search

Tuesday, 17 April 2012

Police to probe soldiers shot in gang brawls

16:05 |


The Jakarta Police said Monday they would question two soldiers who were shot while allegedly as part of a motorcycle gang that carried out vigilante acts on Jl. Pramuka in Central Jakarta last week. “The two wounded soldiers were part of the group of motorcyclists that was on Jl. Pramuka that night. Right now, the two are still being treated at hospitals. We hope they get well soon so that we can start questioning them,” said police spokesman Sr. Comr. Rikwanto. First Seaman Sugeng Riyadi and Second Pvt. Akbar Fidi Aldian reportedly suffered gunshot wounds inflicted during the brutal attack on Jl. Pramuka. Witnesses reported that both soldiers were shot by unidentified men driving a Toyota Yaris hatchback. “The men [in the car] immediately drove away after firing the shots. We are still unable to identify who fired the shots,” Rikwanto said. Akbar was shot in the chest and is currently receiving treatment at the Gatot Soebroto Army Hospital in Central Jakarta, while Sugeng was shot in the right ear and is currently hospitalized at the Mintohardjo Navy Hospital, also in Central Jakarta. A series of widespread attacks occurred in seven spots across North and Central Jakarta in the early hours of April 13, leaving at least eight people injured and one dead. The final attack took place on Jl. Pramuka at around 3 a.m., with Anggi Darmawan and Nendy Haryanto as the last victims. Two motorcycles were burned and three others were destroyed in the attack. The group of bikers also vandalized a 7-Eleven convenience store on nearby Jl. Salemba Raya, attacking and robbing the store’s customers, and damaging several motorcycles parked in front of the store. It was widely reported that the attackers were similar in appearance, with athletic builds and crew cuts. The police have also revealed that the assailants used military lingo when addressing each other and that some of them attached yellow ribbons to their shirts. “However, we are still looking into whether [Sugeng and Akbar] also attached yellow ribbons to their shirts,” Rikwanto said. According to him, the bullets that struck Sugeng and Akbar were still at the respective hospitals that treated the two soldiers. “We will request [the hospitals] to submit [the bullets] to us so that we can keep them as evidence.” Friday’s early morning violence was the latest in a series of four attacks allegedly involving biker gangs in Jakarta in the past three weeks. The first assault took place in Pademangan, North Jakarta, in which First Seaman Arifin Sirih was killed. Another attack occurred seven days later in Tanjung Priok, North Jakarta, which took the life of Soleh, 17. The next day, four teenagers were assaulted by a group of 30 bikers in Kemayoran, Central Jakarta. Separately, Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister Djoko Suyanto said Sunday that he had ordered the police and the military police to work together in arresting the motorcycle-riding perpetrators of the recent spate of violence across Jakarta as soon as possible. “No matter who they are, military personnel or civilians, they must be taken to court if they are found guilty of such crimes,” he said as quoted by

You Might Also Like :


Text may be subject to copyright.This blog does not claim copyright to any such text. Copyright remains with the original copyright holder
Related Posts with Thumbnails